Educate yourself with these naturally curious rodents so you can be rid of them once and for all!!!
Rodents can spread dangerous diseases and can cause major property damage, so it’s imperative for homeowners to familiarize themselves with the types of rodents that invade homes this time of year.
Here is a guide to help you identify common mice and rat species.
- Name : ROOF RAT
- Size: These rats can be over 40 cm long. They are smaller and sleeker than Norway rats
- Color: Roof rats can be black or brown.
- Characteristics: These rodents have long tails, large ears and eyes, and pointed noses. They have smooth fur with hairless, scaly tails that are longer than their heads and bodies.
- Name: NORWAY RAT
- Size: The head and body length ranges from 15 to 28 cm (5.9 to 11.0 in) while the tail ranges in length from 10.5 to 24 cm (4.1 to 9.4 in), therefore being shorter than the head and body.
- Color: The fur is coarse and usually brown or dark grey, while the underparts are lighter grey or brown.
- Characteristics: They have moderately long legs and long, sharp claws. The bald soles of their narrow hind feet possess fleshy pads of variable size, depending on species. The brown rat has a larger body than the house rat, and its tail is shorter relative to the body.
- Name: DEER MICE
- Size: The deer mouse is small in size, only 3 to 4 inches (8 to 10 cm) long, not including the tail.
- Color: Their soft fur can vary in color, from white to black, but all deer mice have a distinguishable white underside and white feet.
- Characteristics: Deer mice have round and slender bodies. The head has a pointed nose with large, black, beady eyes. The ears are large and have little fur covering them. The whiskers are long and prominent. Deer mice have shorter forelimbs than hind limbs.
- Name: HOUSE MICE
- Size: House mice have an adult body length (nose to base of tail) of 7.5–10 cm
- Color: In the wild they vary in colour from light to dark agouti (light to dark brown), but domesticated fancy mice and laboratory mice are produced in many colors ranging from white to champagne to black.
- Characteristics: House mice have smooth fur; pointed muzzle, small eyes, large ears with some hair. They are also known to have short, broad feet and dark, scaly semi-naked tails.
If you suspect that you have a rodent infestation in your property, its probably best to call your Pests R US Pest Professionals who clearly understand the habits of different mice and use that knowledge when developing a mouse control program that is best suited to your home and your particular problem. Our technicians are professional, state certified, licensed applicators. Call today for your free consultation!!!